Stupid Punts!

Stupid Punts!

Text

Examples of the "Nigerian scam" that flood my email box everyday.

Saturday, June 19, 2004

This email appeared today in my mailbox.

At first sight it could be mistaken for being a genuine, if somewhat amateurish, business proposal; not a Nigerian scam.

However, on closer inspection (5 seconds of my life wasted!), it turns out to be another Nigerian scam. At least the story is a little different.

Here the writer claims to be in the business of solar panels, and has $31M stashed away in escrow.

The two big giveaways in the letter, that it is in fact a con, are:

  • The writer uses the word "modalities", this word does not in fact exist in any form of the English language that I am aware of; and is only used by Nigerian scammers. I imagine they think that it makes them sound sophisticated and professional.


  • The proposal is bollocks.


Enough said!

Dear Sir,

I have been instructed by my colleagues to look for
partners who
can assist us execute an urgent business transaction
involving huge
profits and international cooperation.
We are interested in the importation of Solar Panels,
Agricultural equipment and computer accessories. We
need a foreign
partner who can assist us with the transaction
involving US$31, 000 000.00,which
has been set-aside in an escrow account. We have
resolved that a
negotiable percentage will be your commission for
participating in
this transaction on our behalf and any other
assistance you may give in
this deal.A percentage will also be set aside from the
entire sum to settle
any expenses we may incur in the cause on these
transactions and Send all Replies to my alternative email address on:
karim_phillips@luxmail.com. My
colleagues and I are civil servants and as such, it is
not possible
for any of us to operate a foreign account directly;
hence we are soliciting
your support. We propose to finalize the transaction
in tenworking days.
If this proposal is accepted please respond to us via
e-mail to
enable us provide you with the detailed modalities for
the successful
completion of the project.I would also suppose you'd
prefer a voice
contact which requires sending your telephone and fax
numbers to facilitate
the various processes.There is no risk involved we
just need an international
conntact.Moreso,it will be of great importance you
provide me with
your telephone/fax details,so we can have a more
detailed conversation
regarding the whole project.
Finally, if you are not interested in this proposal, I
apologize on
behalf of myself and my colleagues for any
inconvenience.

Send all Replies to my alternative email address on:


Yours Sincerely,

Karim Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment